After that I decided to stop at Barns N Nobles for some books for Owen's 1st birthday. Tried to pick out mostly classics, got a new one that I'm not too sure Tasha will like. It's Old McDonald's farm counting style. You push these poppers to count the animals and it makes and real neat sound. Only reason I question it is because they are vegans...
Tasha was really trying so hard to keep the whole menu vegan for the party but "someone" decided to make some taco thing. Poor Tasha. Next time she knows to clarify the menu. I don't know why people have such a hard time with a vegan menu.
Last night we went to Davis Park to see Shrek. The newspaper said there were about 2,000 people. I was surprised we even found a spot. It's hard because we have chairs and some people just have blankets so you don't really want to plop down your chair right in front of someone on a blanket. Love that movie. Don't know how anyone(Tasha) could not like that movie. Any who the kids and I wanted to ride the Tolley afterward but Jason didn't want to have to hold on to all our crap while on the Trolley. I understand but we were each carrying something and only like 2 people were on the trolley. Oh well next time. Next week is Batman. Sorry going to have to pass on that one.
Started reading my Free Range Kids book. I'd like to share a few tidbits from the book with you....
There aren't any more creeps now than when we were kids. Hard to believe, but thats what the statistics show. Times have not changed. Childhood abduction rates are so rare that the rates do not go up or down by much in any given year.
The problem is than we parents feel that childhood is more dangerous. 40 years ago the majority of children walk or biked to school. Meantime, 70% of Mom's today say they played outside as kids. But only 31% of their kids do.
Where did all this fear come from? (reminds me of how scared everyone was after 9-11) The statistics cited by the national center for missing and exploited children itself show that the number of children abducted and kidded by strangers holds pretty stead over the years - about 1 in 1.5 million. Put another way, the chances of any one american child being kidnapped and killed by a stranger are almost infinitesimally small: .00007%
So I'm talking baby steps here folks. My first step - Letting the kids ride their bikes around the block a couple of times. I know I'm going to get some nay sayers but hey I've pretty much suffered with worry and anxiety since they were born and I really think I've just been feeding off and snowballing that fear and worry over the years to a point that I need medication just to make it thru my day. So heres to taking a step on a new path for me and my children :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment